Modern units for Butler type headlights.

Adrian Barrell

Has anybody had any success finding a modern unit, either sealed beam or pre-focus that fits the old Butler or Lucas headlight and gives a dippable beam?

Hi Adrian,

I have used reflectors and glasses from repro Butler tractor headlamps, ie MF35, Fordson Dexta, etc, on a vehicle that was going to Germany, where a modern type of bulb was required. I seem to recollect it all fitted in the original shell and rim. It was about 14 years ago, but at least it gave a headlamp pattern that worked with the MoT beam tester.

Thanks Richard, I knew if anybody had solved it, it would be you!

I've found a pre focus unit that is quoted as a 5" but I have yet to get one to see if it will fit, the Butler internal rim diameter being 4 7/8".

Your suggestion may prove a better bet.

Adrian,

There is a light difference in the rim aperture diameter on Butler and Lucas rims. I have never tried a sealed beam unit. The best about the tractor lamps were that they had flat glasses so apart from the fluting, did not look too out of place.

Adrian. I bought a pair of repro Fergi tractor headlamps from Ernest Doe in Fram, fortunately my existing Butler lamps were in good shape and only the reflectors were u/s. The new reflectors fitted perfectly and have the added benefit of decent wiring.

I've just fitted the repaired exhaust manifold to the MCC C4, thank you, along with a water pump I rebuilt. I can drive round and show you the lights, once I receive and fit some new hoses, which are due here late this week. Tks again for the welding. Jerry