Jeep Markings

mick.wilson

Mick, according to the 'US Army Hand book' by George Forty each Army would have MP battallions attached so the markings would read something like this:-

1A 783P HQ 1 1stArmy 783rd Military Police Battalion HQ Company 1st vehicle. The HQ could be replaced of course by a company letter, note the P, rather than MP. I don't know if the letters ASCZ were used on MP vehicles and can't find a photo at the moment to confirm thiis either way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Degsy

Mick, according to the 'US Army Hand book' by George Forty each Army would have MP battallions attached so the markings would read something like this:-

1A 783P HQ 1 1stArmy 783rd Military Police Battalion HQ Company 1st vehicle. The HQ could be replaced of course by a company letter, note the P, rather than MP. I don't know if the letters ASCZ were used on MP vehicles and can't find a photo at the moment to confirm thiis either way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Degsy

Thanks for that Degsy, I think thats the info we are look for.

Mick.

Mick, what I forgot to say was that units did sometimes mark vehicles with a certain amount of licence, often using much larger size letters and numerals than authorised or varying the position of the markings etc, some of this apparently at the whim of the C.O. (but probably not in Patton's Army).

Hi Degsy and Mick...i personally think it would have been something like

1A-HQ-X..........P-1.......denoting Police.....

Hang on i will definatley find out looking at some pictures of MP vehicles...

I think the only reference to MP would have been in the lettering on the windshield etc

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, I am quite happy to be corrected on this, as although I must have photo's somewhere I failed to find them :oops: :x and as nobody had answered Mick I had to follow Forty's book. I hope you have more success than me with the photo's :-D