Jump to content

Blogs

Our community blogs

  1. Started the big strip down , i thought the best place was to start at the front and work back with the idea of having a bare chassis by the end of the Christmas holidays, although seriously rusted the front panel and bumper will be repaired and re used, the front panel still has in place the rare round Bedford badge

    DSCF1791.thumb.JPG.9283c3aa34cdc5fa98713072e1609041.JPG

    With the front panel removed the soldered joints holding the radiator to its frame had long since failed and after cutting through what was left of the radiator hoses it was simply lifted out of the frame leaving the support brackets and fan shroud behind to be unbolted

    DSCF1795.thumb.JPG.a2b5604d56b603578aa8a8d5dedf63bf.JPG

    With the radiator mountings etc. removed i could now access the engine with the fan ,water pump and dynamo  removed work started to remove the cylinder head

    DSCF1802.thumb.JPG.ab12dac101e2563385e83eb382fc6db0.JPG

    Surprisingly all the cylinder head bolts came out without too much of a struggle with the worst corroshion on the heads of the bolts , removing the cylinder head revealed the corroded mess you see bellow which on first inspection is not that bad but !

    DSCF1807.thumb.JPG.1242ef98aabd8907c410794402b561ad.JPG

     

    When i started digging in the rust in cylinder number six my screw driver went straight through what was left of the piston

    DSCF1806.thumb.JPG.eec117081fa326c0c51ddf51e53182e3.JPG

     

    How long has this truck been laid up, it must take a very long numbers of years for a piston to dissolve hopefully if there is no more damage to the engine block it can be salvaged by fitting cylinder liners .

    I mentioned in my first post that the engine number MW 30134 matched the stamping on the bulkhead data plate , closer inspection shows that this number is over stamped on top of the original engine number which hopefully i can read on the reverse of the plate when it is removed ,the replacement engine is a wartime factory rebuilt unit dated October 1943

    Could i ask if there are any more examples of replacement engine numbers being overstamped in this way ?

    DSCF1810.thumb.JPG.6c98a3ae26191bbd14ff6fb100fcec5d.JPG

  2. mick

    • 2
      entries
    • 2
      comments
    • 142
      views

    Recent Entries

    Being forced to down size due to injury. Going on the market early next year some of my (toys) vehicles, trailers and workshop kit. I did try and do this several years ago under "all must go" but ended up in hospital and unable to contact the replies, sorry .

    Some of the kit:   Former RAF Regiment MJ, tilt and canvas, old style TCV seats, tail lift and very low mileage, 1.75 ton trailer, 1 ton Rapier trailer from the Falklands,  new boxed immersion field water heater, 110 soft top new canvas and used Bedford/Daff canvass and odds and ends of vehicle new parts, plus one demountable pod suitable for a camper.

    Other workshop items:    Shelving, mobile compressors, large tool cabinet, work benches, manual vehicle recovery winch, wood working bench, 3ph arc welder, 20ft curtain side container, large former REME armory cabinet.

    Al;l items are situated in East Sussex TN6 area. If anyone is interested send me your details to tumbledown.farm@yahoo.com and I will contact you nearer the time.

    Happy Christmas to all, Mick

×